Pregnancy takes a toll on your body and can leave you feeling out of shape. However, yoga to lose belly fat after pregnancy is an excellent way to get back in shape and tone your abdomen. Yoga is a great way to reduce stress and build strength, both of which can help you achieve the toned belly you’re looking for.(1)In this article, we’ll discuss the best 7 yoga poses to help you lose belly fat after pregnancy.
Best 7 Yoga Poses to Lose Belly Fat After Pregnancy.
1. Camel Pose.
Camel Pose or Ustrasana is an excellent yoga pose to lose belly fat after pregnancy. It stretches and strengthens the abdominal muscles, helping you shed those extra pounds.
To perform this Pose:
- Start by kneeling on the floor with your knees hip-width apart.
- Place your hands on your hips and arch your back while lifting your chest.
- Reach your hands towards your feet, grasping your ankles.
- Hold the pose for up to a minute, then release and return to the starting position.
This pose is a great way to tone and strengthen the abdominal muscles and reduce belly fat after pregnancy.
2. Boat Pose.
Boat Pose or Navasana is a great yoga pose to help you lose belly fat after pregnancy. This pose helps strengthen the core and abdominal muscles while also improving balance and flexibility. It is an effective pose to tone and slim down your abdominal area.
To do Boat Pose:
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Then, bring your knees up towards your chest while extending your arms straight out in front of you.
- Make sure your back is as straight as possible and that your chest is lifted up toward the ceiling.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
While in this pose, make sure you are engaging the core muscles and keeping the abdominal muscles tight. This will help create the toning effect you need to reduce your postpartum belly fat.
Boat Pose can also help you to increase your overall balance and flexibility, which can be helpful for moms who have recently had babies.
If you are new to yoga or feel overwhelmed trying Boat Pose, it’s always important to listen to your body and start slow. You can always modify the pose by bending your knees slightly or coming down to your elbows instead of extending your arms fully. Remember that yoga to lose belly fat after pregnancy should be done gradually and with consistency for the best results.
3. Half Camel Pose.
Half Camel Pose, also known as Ardha Ustrasana, is an effective yoga pose to help reduce belly fat after pregnancy. It is a powerful backbend that strengthens the spine and abdominal muscles.
To perform Half Camel Pose:
- Begin by kneeling on the floor with your thighs perpendicular to the ground.
- Place your hands on your lower back, and then arch your torso backward until your spine is extended and your hands reach for your feet.
- For additional support, you can hold onto the back of your ankles.
- Inhale deeply, and as you exhale, press your tailbone towards your pubic bone and feel the stretch in your abdominal area.
- Stay in this pose for at least 30 seconds, and then slowly return to the starting position.
Practicing Half Camel Pose regularly can help to reduce belly fat after pregnancy while increasing flexibility in your spine and strengthening your core muscles.
4. Seated Forward Bend.
The seated forward bend, also known as Paschimottanasana, is an important yoga pose for those looking to lose belly fat after pregnancy. This pose stretches the spine, hamstrings, and hip flexors, helping to relieve tension in the back and abdomen.
To do the seated forward bend:
- Begin by sitting on the floor with your legs extended out in front of you and your spine tall and straight.
- Inhale deeply, then exhale as you reach your hands forward towards your feet.
- Try to keep your spine as straight as possible, and maintain a slight bend in your knees.
- Once you’ve reached your maximum stretch, hold the pose for a few breaths before releasing.
This pose helps to stimulate abdominal organs, reducing fat buildup in the area. Additionally, it strengthens and stretches the lower back muscles, which can be especially beneficial for mothers who are trying to regain strength in this area after pregnancy. Do this pose regularly as part of your yoga practice to help reduce belly fat after pregnancy.
5. Wind-Relieving Pose.
Wind-Relieving Pose is an effective yoga pose to help lose belly fat after pregnancy.
To perform Wind-Relieving Pose:
- This pose involves lying down on the back and bending both knees, with the soles of the feet flat on the ground.
- The arms should be extended alongside the body, palms facing up.
- Then, slowly draw one knee into the chest, keeping the other leg straight.
- Hold this position for 10 to 20 seconds before switching legs.
Wind-Relieving Pose helps to relax the body and loosen up the abdominal area while stretching out the hips, helping to reduce belly fat after pregnancy. Practicing this pose regularly can help to improve digestion and metabolism, aiding in weight loss.
Bhujangasana, also known as Cobra Pose, is one of the best yoga poses to lose belly fat after pregnancy. This pose is an excellent way to strengthen the abdominal muscles, reduce bloating and support the lower back. The pose involves lying down on your stomach and raising your torso using your arms and back.
To perform Cobra Pose:
- To begin, lie down on your stomach and place your palms flat on the floor near your chest.
- Keep your elbows bent and make sure that your toes are touching each other.
- As you inhale, slowly lift your chest and head off the ground by pressing your palms into the ground and using your back muscles.
- Keep your shoulder blades tucked into your back, draw your shoulder blades away from your ears, and look straight ahead.
- Hold this pose for up to a minute while continuing to take deep breaths.
- To release the pose, slowly lower your chest and head back down to the ground.
- Rest in this position for a few breaths before slowly pushing yourself back up to a seated position.
Bhujangasana is an excellent pose to help you get rid of belly fat after pregnancy. It will help strengthen your abdominal muscles, reduce bloating, and provide support to your lower back.
Dhanurasana is an excellent yoga pose to lose belly fat after pregnancy. This pose helps to strengthen the back and core muscles, while also improving digestion and circulation.
To perform Dhanurasana:
- To get into the pose, start by lying on your stomach with your feet hip-width apart.
- Reach back with both hands and grab your ankles, then lift your chest off the ground and arch your back.
- Keep your thighs and feet hip-width apart and take a few deep breaths.
- Hold the pose for up to a minute, or as long as you can comfortably manage.
- To release the pose, gently lower your body back down to the ground and rest in the child’s pose.
The benefits of Dhanurasana include improved digestion and circulation, as well as toning the abdomen and strengthening the back and core muscles.
Additionally, this pose may help to reduce belly fat after pregnancy. However, pregnant women should avoid this pose and instead opt for a restorative yoga pose.
Yoga to Avoid After Pregnancy.
After giving birth, many women are eager to get back into shape as quickly as possible. However, certain poses may be unsafe for postpartum moms. Women should always speak to their doctor before beginning a new exercise regimen after childbirth.
Here are some yoga poses to avoid after pregnancy:
1. Crow Pose (Bakasana).
This pose requires a great deal of core strength and can put a lot of strain on the abdominals. After childbirth, it is best to avoid any poses that could strain the abdominal muscles.
2. Headstand (Sirsasana).
While this pose is beneficial for many people, it is not recommended after childbirth. The headstand can put too much pressure on the core muscles and abdomen, which can be weakened after giving birth.
3. Revolved Abdomen Pose (Parivrtta Jathara Parivartanasana).
This pose can also be too strenuous for postpartum moms. It puts a lot of strain on the abdominal muscles and it is best to avoid it until the muscles have recovered from childbirth.
Backbends can be too much for postpartum moms, as they can cause straining of the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor. It is best to wait until the muscles have had time to heal and strengthen before attempting backbends.
Inversions are not recommended after childbirth, as they put a lot of strain on the abdominal muscles. Instead, it is best to wait until the abdominal muscles have had time to heal before attempting inversions.
*Note. Yoga is a great way to stay fit and healthy after pregnancy, but it is important to listen to your body and make sure you’re not overdoing it. Make sure to talk with your doctor before beginning a yoga practice or any other exercise program after giving birth.
One of the best ways to prevent the accumulation of belly fat after pregnancy is to practice yoga regularly. Regular yoga can help to strengthen the muscles that support your abdomen, which can help to keep your stomach toned and firm. Additionally, yoga can help to reduce stress, which can lead to weight gain and make it harder to lose belly fat.
To ensure that you are getting the most out of your yoga practice for belly fat loss after pregnancy, it’s important to pay attention to your breathing.
Taking deep breaths during each pose can help to bring more oxygen into your body, as well as help you to stay focused on your form.
Additionally, focusing on proper form is essential for ensuring that you are getting the most out of each pose and reaping all of the benefits that it offers.
Lastly, be sure to stay hydrated. Staying well-hydrated can help to reduce bloating and help you to stay energized throughout your yoga practice. Aim to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day while doing yoga to lose belly fat after pregnancy.
Losing belly fat after pregnancy is a challenging process, but it can be done with the right yoga poses and prevention tips. You can start your journey to reclaiming your pre-pregnancy shape with a few simple poses like the camel pose, boat pose, half camel pose, seated forward bend, wind-relieving pose, paschimottanasana, bhujangasana, and dhanurasana. Each of these poses has its own benefits that target different areas of your core to help you shed extra belly fat. Remember to be patient with yourself and your progress as it may take time for you to see results. Also, be sure to avoid certain poses such as inversions and backbends after childbirth to reduce the risk of injury. With a little dedication and some mindful breathing and stretching, you can reach your goals for weight loss post-pregnancy.
Verywelfit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3193654/